Monday, March 11, 2013

homemade all-purpose cleaner

We recently ran out of the Seventh Generation All-Purpose Cleaner and our local Walmart doesn't carry it.  Rather than buy a different product or have to travel to the city, I decided to see if I had everything at home to make my own.  I got lucky with the first recipe I looked up!  I've been using it for about two months now and I really like it.  My only complaint is that it isn't antibacterial, but I plan to make an antibacterial spray using lavender oil.  I use this mostly on our kitchen counters and kitchen table.  It is great at getting unidentifiable sticky substances off of surfaces and I especially like it for the high chair.  I don't have to worry about nasty chemicals being on the surface E eats off of.  It does have a vinegary smell, but it doesn't linger so I don't notice it after I'm done cleaning.  The castile soap I used is Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Liquid Soap.  I bought a big container off Amazon when I was attempting homemade dishwasher soap and I've also used it to make my own hand soap (check out a future post on that).


(Recipe from Macheesmo)
All-Purpose Cleaner (it will bubble so make sure you have some extra room in your spray bottle) 
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon washing soap
1/2 Teaspoon castile soap
2 cups hot water


Other posts in my green series:
Homemade deodorant 

1 comment:

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Ashley, that looks like a good recipe! I use as few chemicals as possible, and I don't worry whether a cleaner is antibacterial or not. I think, in most cases, if you clean a surface with this concoction of yours, it's as clean as it needs to be (and that's coming from a real germaphobe!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...