Monday, March 26, 2012

Preparing for summer (green edition)

I realize that it is only just now spring, but when you move from the north to the south and the temps consistently stay in the 80s, it feels like the past 25 summers!

We have been going on a walk in the late afternoon around the greenhouse (we live right on the property), which is about 2 miles. At this point I'm pretty much ready to go inside and take a nap, but I usually let W run around with his mower or chase bubbles for a half hour before I really can't take the heat anymore. W would spend all day outside if he could, he throws a tantrum whenever I make him come inside.

Using safe products for summer is one of my big priorities. Skin cancer runs in my family so I definitely want sunscreen for myself and my little dude. I've been doing tons of research on the two main chemicals that are used as protection from the sun (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide). Most green websites suggest not using a product with titanium dioxide because it may be a carcinogen. Some companies break down the titanium dioxide into nanoparticles which could make it small enough to be absorbed into the skin. I didn't find this concern with zinc oxide which is a main component in other products like Desitin and calamine lotion. Personally I don't think there is enough research to rule titanium dioxide as being harmful, but it is a chemical and so I think everyone should decide for themselves. With all that said, these are the products we are using for sun:

Arbonne Baby Care Sunscreen SPF 30. This one only contains Zinc Oxide and is formulated for sensitive skin. Burt's Bees Baby Bee Sunscreen Stick SPF 30 (you can find this at Walmart, just wanted a link to show you what it is). This contains both Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide, it's really great for faces and ears!

Juice Organics SPF 30 Light Tint Moisturizer. I bought this to try because it is chemical-free and it had SPF 30. Unfortunately I'm not in love with it now that summer has arrived. The tint is too light for my skin now that I'm getting some sun but it was nice for the winter. Plus it isn't very moisturizing now that we're in a dry spell, so my face is really dried out. I wish they sold a tint-free variety, but they don't. I loved Arbonne's FC5 Nurturing Day Lotion with SPF 20, but it only lasts about 3 months and $40 is a lot of money for such a little amount. I'm still on the hunt for a face lotion I love with SPF and preferably chemical-free!

Other summer must-haves:

I love this Herbal Insect Repellent because it's 100% natural, and it works! W and I used it last summer when we went camping and I had zero problem with bugs. This product is proof you don't need tons of chemicals to ward off pests. The bugs haven't come out yet but I know they will hit us hard here in Florida, so I'm definitely prepared!

I actually won this in a giveaway last year, but their Green Salve is like miracle cream. A just used it last week on a rash he had and it was gone by that night. I use it on any rash that pops up on W (other than diaper rash) and it's also great for bug bites!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Lexi cries yo come inside too! Like tantrum cry! I guess its a good thing, it is just a pain! Im going to have to look into these products- specifcally the burts bees insect repellant! Thanks for sharing

Christine said...

love this product review! I am always on the look out for a great tinted moisturizer too, especially one with a high SPF for summer!

Cafe Fashionista said...

I LOVE Burt's Bees! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...