Here is the recipe I used:
- 2.5 gallons of hot water (our tap water gets really hot, so I just used that instead of trying to boil that much water)
- 1 bar of soap (4.5-5 oz) grated (I used Dr. Bronner's Mild Baby Organic Bar Soap which was $4 off Amazon but I found it Publix for a better price for the future especially I don't seem to be saving too much with this expensive soap, although I love that it is mild and organic)
- 1 cup of washing soap (Arm & Hammer brand was $4.50 at Walmart)
1/2 cup of mixture is needed for a full load. I was nervous at first because we have a front-loading, high-efficiency washer and 1/2 cup of the liquid goes slightly above the "max" line, but I haven't noticed this being a problem. Most of it is water anyways. This is perfect for high-efficiency washers because it produces low suds (the reason why you need special soap for HE machines). I'm going to experiment with a scented soap for my next batch or adding in essential oils (I'm kind of nervous to venture into the realm of essential oils). Overall this has been a success, with no complaints from A! The only thing I'm not sure about is how long it will last/if it will become rancid. I couldn't find a conclusive answer when I was researching so I'll update later if I notice it only lasts for a short period of time.
We are still using a Bounce dryer bar, but once it is finished, I plan to try out wool dryer balls (especially if I can figured out how to make them well). We also use Seventh Generation Free & Clear Natural Laundry Stain Remover which we love so far. A always gets something on his shirts, and this has been a lifesaver for getting stains out (W's shirts are permanently stained anyways so I don't even bother with them most of the time).
3 comments:
I am so impressed once again! It sounds like this soap really works, and I'm keeping this recipe for the future when I have a washer and dryer of my own--I doubt my parents will go for this lol they haven't fallen into a lot of the 'green' stuff yet.
Looks great! I made some homemade liquid soap out of bar soap awhile back, I'll have to try this for laundry soap! Thanks for the recipe!
I'm so glad it worked out! Thanks for giving all the of the details about how it worked, you were so thorough. Woohoo for homemade! :)
Post a Comment