Thursday, May 24, 2012

homemade wool dryer balls

This was my next venture in becoming a more green and chemical-free household.  Prior to the switch, we were using a Bounce Dryer Bar or Bounce Free and Sensitive Dryer Sheets (I still have half a box of the dryer sheets).  After doing some research, I found that wool dryer balls last a really long time (many people use theirs for years and every once and awhile add another one to the dryer).  I decided to start off with 4 and see how that worked. 

Necessary products:
*100% Wool Yarn (make sure it says it's good for felting).  I bought this kind off Amazon and it was enough yarn to make 9 dryer balls
*crochet hook (this helps pull the yarn through when you finish making the ball so it won't come unraveled)

All I really did then was wrap and wrap and wrap the yarn into a tight ball.  Once it was to the size I wanted, I looped the ends through a few times and that was it.
Baby girl was helping me out :)

The next step is felting. I have a bunch of old stockings lying around so I placed them in the stockings and tied a knot between each ball so they wouldn't unravel.  I then placed them through the hot cycle on both the washer and dryer (threw them in with my regular towels and sheets which I run on hot cycles) and after 3 cycles they seemed to be felted!
 
The last step is to add scent, which didn't go over well with mine.  I have orange essential oil and added a few drops to each ball, but I honestly don't notice a scent in my clothes.  A really doesn't like scents on his clothes so this is a non-issue for me, but it's something to look into if you like scents.  I sent some to Danielle to try as well and she is going to experiment with adding scent to them!  

Now you're probably asking why did I switch to the dryer balls.  First off it seemed like the most economical option.  For $6 I can soften my clothes for much longer than a box of dryer sheets or a dryer bar lasts.  They also are supposed to cut down on drying time because they get air flow moving through the clothes (you can buy plastic balls at Walmart that does this exact same thing).  They really seem to soften my clothes at least as well as dryer sheets/a dryer bar does and there are no harsh chemicals in it.  I don't have to wash baby girl's clothes separate from ours because everything I am now using in my laundry is mild and sensitive.  We have had no problems with irritation using the dryer balls, and I don't even think my husband has noticed I switched.

I'm happy to say that one more product has been eliminated off our shelf and we have one less item to purchase for our family.

Look out next week for my successful attempt at homemade dish washing soap :)

Other posts in my green series:

2 comments:

Holly said...

These look awesome! I might have to look into them because our dryer takes forever to dry clothes.

Danielle said...

I love how they turned out! Thanks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...