Wednesday, September 14, 2011

i < 3 ohio - Toledo



For our second installment, I'm featuring Emily who I have been following for a couple of months. She is sharing about Toledo, I city I have not visited. After reading about all the fun stuff to do, I can't wait to check it out sometime soon!!

Hi! I’m Emily and I blog over at Day in the Life (you can head over there to read more about my daily life ramblings). I lived in Toledo all my life until college and I miss it so much! I just wanted to tell you all about how awesome Toledo is!



Attractions:
1. Toledo Zoo- I actually worked at the zoo for 5 years as a volunteer and a summer as a cashier. It’s awesome! It was actually voted one of the top 5 zoos in the nation! Not only do they have awesome attractions such as an African Exhibit and a huge monkey exhibit, they have the Lights Before Christmas. They have millions of Christmas lights and it is absolutely beautiful. If you ever go to Toledo I highly recommend it. It’s only 11 dollars for adults and 8 for children! Can’t beat that!
2. Imagination Station Toledo - this is a great place to take kids to learn about science- in a fun way! On their website there's a bunch of examples of exhibits
3. Toledo Museum- Need a free place to see some cool art? The Toledo Museum is for you! Some special events require admission but it’s never more than $5. They are closed Mondays, however.
4. Toledo Mud Hens- The Mud Hens are the AAA farm team of the Detroit Tigers. They just got a new stadium about 10 years ago and it is awesome. It’s located in downtown Toledo and Mud Hens games are truly fun (and cheap!)


5. Toledo Walleye- The Toledo Walleye are the hockey team of Toledo and part of the ECHL. They also *just* made their arena (The Huntington Center) 3 years ago (so it’s almost brand new!) The Huntington Center also has lots of concerts that come in town and it’s a great atmosphere for those.
6. University of Toledo- UT football games are always fun and they are located at the Glass Bowl Stadium. The basketball team competes at Savage Arena (which just was renovated) and the games are a lot of fun! Can’t beat college athletics :)
7. Toledo Botanical Garden- need a day to spend in the gardens? This place is for you. AND IT’S FREE!! It’s open to the public all 7 days of the week.
8. Our Lady Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral- want to see an absolutely beautiful Catholic Church? Spend a bit of time at Rosary Cathedral. It’s absolutely stunning (although I’m bias since I graduated in there :D )



Food:
1. Tony Paco’s- Tony Paco’s is a total Toledo tradition. They have the best hot dogs you can ever eat. Plus it was featured on the old show M*A*S*H. How cool is that? It’s located right near the Mud Hen’s so you can eat before the game!
2. Mancy’s Steaks- This is a good place to take your date. It’s a bit more expensive, but it’s delicious!
3. The Spaghetti Warehouse- This place is GOOD. Like really good. And you can eat in a trolley if you want! UHH sweet!
4. The Docks Restaurants- also another wonderful place to go on a date as it looks over the river and downtown Toledo. Truly beautiful! There’s a handful of restaurants at the Docks including Zia’s, Tango’s, and the Real Seafood Co. so there’s something for everyone!

Convenience
In case you were wondering, Toledo is only:
2 hours from Cleveland
1 hour from Detroit, MI
2.5 hours from Columbus
3.25 hours from Cincinnati
Oh, not to mention only an hour away from Cedar Point :D
We have tons of metroparks, as well as Maumee Bay State Park nearby.
Oh, and LOTS of golf courses. (Some of my favorites include Heatherdowns Country Club, Detwiler, Eagle’s Landing, and Maumee Bay)
IKEA is only about 45 minutes away in Canton, MI. There’s a shopping center called Levis Commons only about 20 minutes away in Perrysburg, OH (right off the highway!)
But why would you want to go any of those places when you can just have fun in Toledo? :)

If you would like to join in on the I heart Ohio series make sure to contact Ashley!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like a great place! I've only ever been there once to visit COSI when it was there, but I was a lot younger and don't remember it. I heard the Zoo is really great!

Meredyth said...

I have been to Tony Packo's several times -- my husband and I stop there on our way home from Chicago. So good!

Emily said...

The new COSI is Imagination Station! They closed COSI for a couple years and reopened it as that :)

Louise said...

Now I want to visit Toledo, too! Ack, I feel like such a lame native Ohioan as I'm realizing more and more all that I haven't seen. But I'm grateful for all these travel tips and looking forward to checking out more of the Buckeye State. Woohoo! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...