Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you?

I was a freshmen in highschool, barely 1 week into school when 9-11 happened. I was sitting in Integrated Science when the first announcement came on. Every classroom turned their TV on and we watched as the second plane hit. Strangely enough classes continued as normal because I remember I had Algebra next and our teacher still made us take a test instead of watching the news. I don't think I understood the magnitude of that day until the days afterwards when things became more clear. My dad was stuck on a business trip on the west coast and ended up renting a car and driving home to Ohio. My uncle worked in the Pentagon at the time and so there were some tense moments when we didn't know if he was ok. My mom is from New York so she was in contact with family members daily. Thankfully no one I know was directly affected by the attacks, but the memories from that day will forever haunt me. The way our country came together after that has always amazed me, it was a God moment.

10 years later and we are sitting in New York visiting family. It was not planned to be here during this memorial weekend, but it feels so fitting. We're planning to go to the city on Tuesday and I really hope we can visit the memorial site (I've been there a few times since '01).

Where were you that day?

1 comment:

Holly said...

That's ironic that your teacher made you take a test...my English teacher made us take ours, too. That's nuts that your dad drove home, but better than to be stuck out there for a few days. I'm glad your uncle was ok, and the rest of your family! I hope you enjoy your trip :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...