Monday, November 8, 2010

2 years

Two years ago Aaron and I exchanged our vows and got hitched! I can't believe it has already been two years, it feels like just yesterday that we were reconnecting and falling back in love! We have a unique story, and I feel like it's time to document it somewhere.

We met in the summer of 2004, I was 17 and he was 16 (yes I'm older than my hubby :P). We were introduced at church camp, but it wasn't until a few months later when I was invited to attend the same youth group as him, that we started to get to know each other. We started dating in August of that year and we got pretty serious pretty fast. This is the earliest picture I have of the two of us from Homecoming. We look so young!In February we went on the UN Seminar trip sponsored by our denomination where we visited NYC and DC. It's pretty cool we got to make so many memories together and we can look back on all the fun stuff we did! This pic was taken in Toys R Us in NYC.In March of 2005, things began to fall apart for us. Aaron and I both wanted different things out of our relationship and so Aaron ended up breaking things off. It wasn't a good breakup (if there ever is such a thing) because we completely stopped talking. I was getting ready to graduate high school and preparing for college, and he had found the party scene. We still managed to go to my senior Prom that year, and to this day I'm still baffled as to why we went together (we went to different schools so he didn't know anyone at my prom). Aaron chose to dye his hair black the day before prom, needless to say, I was very unhappy with him!
After May of 2005, I don't think we saw each other more than twice over the next 2 years. In 2007, though, everything changed. I had just gotten out of a very serious relationship and I had pretty much sworn off guys entirely and placed my focus on God. By chance, I asked to help out at a local church's youth group to see their program and I happened to run into Aaron who was playing basketball on the same night as youth group at this random church that neither of us attended. From that moment on, God had placed something on my heart. I let a week go by and I knew I needed to get in touch with him, but I had no contact info for him. I asked a few mutual friends if they had his number, but no one did, so I did the old-fashioned thing and sent him a letter! I tried to keep the letter as open-ended as possible and basically gave him my email address and screen name to see if he wanted to get in touch with me. Another week went by and then I got an AIM message from him. We started reconnecting and over the next few weeks we began to build a friendship. I didn't want to expect anything from him because I knew he was doing a lot of stuff that I didn't want a part of and really we were exact opposites (think frat boy meets shy, Christian girl). Eventually though, we decided to give a relationship another try, but with the understanding that we would keep things casual in the beginning. About four months in is when we both realized we had something special. I knew that I was in love with him, but there was a lot of things that needed to change before I was comfortable settling down with him. Thankfully, God helped us out with all of the details and the following year we decided to get married!
Last year we went to Columbus for anniversary and visited the zoo. This year, we kept it very low-key and just hung out the two of us. We picked up some last minute baby stuff and had a delicious Hibachi dinner! It is so hard to believe that we have been married for two years and in roughly a month, we'll be welcoming our son! God has been so good to us :) I didn't get a picture of the two of us today, but hopefully I'll get one soon. Also, my mom and dad got us a video camera for our anniversary, so we are definitely going to become those parents who tape everything! I cannot wait to capture memories on film :)

3 comments:

Callie said...

Aw, sweet story! I love hearing people's love stories. :-)

Holly said...

I love your story!! :) You guys are such a great couple and really prove that God has a plan for everything. And that's so exciting that your parents bought you a camera!! Yay I can't wait to see videos of your little guy :)

<3 Holly

Anonymous said...

Aww what a sweet story! I love hearing how people met. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...