Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 11

Day 1: My favorite song
Day 2: My favorite movie
Day 3: My favorite television program
Day 4: My favorite book
Day 5: My favorite quote
Day 6: My favorite music video
Day 7: A photo that makes me happy
Day 8: Describe the style I had 10 years ago
Day 9: A photo I took
Day 10: A regret I have
Day 11: A story from my childhood
Day 12: How I got one of my scars
Day 13: How do I think others view me?
Day 14: The cuteness of my pets
Day 15: A poem I wrote
Day 16: A song that makes me cry (or nearly)
Day 17: An art piece that is my favorite
Day 18: My best friend
Day 19: A talent of mine
Day 20: A hobby of mine
Day 21: A recipe
Day 22: My deepest fear
Day 23: A love letter to myself
Day 24: My guilty pleasure
Day 25: Tattoos I want
Day 26: The last random act of kindness I encountered
Day 27: The last thing that made me cry
Day 28: Advice for my 15-year-old self
Day 29: Hopes, dreams, and plans for the next 365 days
Day 30: What have I learned about myself in the past 30 days?

The most vivid memory I have from my childhood is spending Christmas Eve at my Nana and Pop Pop's in New York (they are my great-grandparents). They lived in a small trailer, but the whole family would gather at their place and we would eat lots of Italian cookies and exchange presents. My brother and I would stare out the window looking for Santa and we'd want to rush to get home so we could go to sleep and it would finally be Christmas. I loved the Christmas' I spent in New York more than any Christmas I ever spent at home. My Pop Pop passed away when I was 12 and most of the family is now scattered all across the US, but my Nana still has an apartment by herself in New York and my grandparents still live near her as well (my Nana turned 95 this past April!) I hope we can bring our son to visit her early next year.

We used to alternate holidays in New York for my mom's side of the family, but we haven't done that since high school. It makes me sad that this tradition is no longer around but I have a lot of faith in the power of positive memories tied to holidays. I want my son, and all of my children to have positive memories about the holidays and spending time with family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...