Tithing has always been somewhat of a mystery to me, especially as a "poor" college student. I know that the Bible says to give the first of our fruits to God (Old Testament teaching), and specifically to give 10% of one's income to the church/temple (Numbers 18:26 is the most clear, but tithing appears elsewhere). Despite having it clearly spelled out, I have continued to be baffled as to how to make it work. Hubby and I do not belong to a church and we do not attend any one specific church regularly, so we cannot make any commitments, but I would still like to tithe. After some prayer and careful consideration, this is what I have come up with for tithing:- Give what we have in cash whenever we are at a church. This ranges from as little as a few dollars to larger bills. We rarely carry cash, though, so we cannot stop here.
- Give when asked to donate to a charity at a place of business. I always used to feel guilty for saying "no" to a charity donation, but it's only usually $1 and I can always spare that. So far I have had 3 opportunities to donate this way!
- Saving our change to donate to specific organizations/charities. For example, my parent's church has a penny collection. The pennies are collected each week and donated to a local shelter when the jar on the alter is full. Another example is the March of Dimes. They specifically collect dimes (although larger donations are accepted). Also, just random charities that come door to door collection change, or the Salvation Army tins at Christmas.
These are a few of the ways I feel as though I am "officially" tithing. What are some of your thoughts, and I would love to hear other creative ways that you are tithing. I can always add to my list and do more!
1 comment:
I've dedicated myself to giving $20 a month to my church; I write a check at the beginning of the month and give it in offering. Our church is struggling anyway and after being on that committee last year to figure out what to do with our church...I feel like I need to contribute more. So that's my start of tithing!
By the way, I loooove your baby counter :-D
<3 Holly
Post a Comment