Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye '09

Aaron and I rang in 2009 in Indianapolis. We spent a quiet evening together at Applebee's and then watched the ball drop and went to bed. It was rather uneventful, but it was our first New Year's as a married couple. I made a few resolutions, and I followed through on most of them.
  1. I wanted to find a group of friends at school once I transferred. I have made quite a few friends since transferring and I would say this is the one I followed through on the best, even if I didn't start working on it until September.

  2. Complete my 101 things list and begin a new one. I did not end up completing my 101 things list, but I carried over most of the unfinished items to the new list I started in May.

  3. Go on vacation with my family. We didn't go to the Rockies or Myrtle Beach as I originally intended, but we did go to Mexico and that was an amazing experience.

  4. Save as much money as possible. This worked for about the first half of the year, but as the year is now coming to a close, we have no money in savings and we are poorer than we were this time last year. Not a position I want to be in next year.

  5. Tithe. This is the only one I never even attempted and I am very ashamed at this. We never found a home church and so I never felt led to tithing. I have hopes for the new year and I'd like to keep this resolution.

A Recap:

  • Aaron cut my hair (twice!)

  • We went out of the country twice. In January to Haiti for a mission trip and in July to Mexico for vacation.

  • We spent five months living apart with three of those months spent living in separate states. It also included a month of not seeing each other at all. Not the best way to spend our first year of marriage, but we managed.

  • I celebrated my 22nd birthday and Aaron's 21st.

  • Started a new 101 things list in May.

  • Transferred schools and entered a dual degree program. I also fell in love with this school and I know it is where God wants me to be.

  • Moved from Indiana back to Ohio.

  • I was unemployed for five months. Aaron was unemployed for three months and we suffered through unemployment which was a huge waste of time.

  • I gave a sermon at my church in June, and it led me to know that God isn't calling me into pulpit ministry at this time.

  • My cousin Vincent and his mom Jennifer were killed in a car accident. This was the worst piece of news from this year and I pray that something this tragic doesn't happen this new year.

  • My Malibu died and we bought a new car that died about a month after we bought it. It has now been roughly five months without any problems (*fingers crossed*).

  • Hosted my first party and it was a lot of fun. I made sangria for the first time!

I know there are things I'm missing, but this is what I can remember. 2009 was an amazing year, but I know 2010 is going to be even better. My only real resolution this year is to keep God at the center. I want to move past my selfish ways and see that God is all that matters. I want to end 2010 knowing that I served God to the fullest and I answered all of His knockings.

I pray everyone has a safe New Year's and that God fills your 2010 with so many blessings! We are ringing in 2010 with Chinese food and Applebee's, but this year we are surrounded by good friends :)

-Ash

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...