Wednesday, June 13, 2012

birth wishes

When I was pregnant with W, I wrote this post right around 34 weeks and it seemed fitting to do so again. Reading what I wrote and then knowing how labor was/how my hospital experience was makes me seem really naive. For example, the first thing they did when it was confirmed I was in labor, was to hook me up to an IV. I still think it's pointless to be on fluids through an IV instead of letting me eat ice chips, but I wasn't given a choice (I feel like this is common at hospitals, so I'm assuming this will be the case at the new hospital).

Part of my "wishes":

*I want a drug-free labor. Last time I had Demerol when I was at 8 cm and although it helped me be able to relax in between contractions, research after the fact made me wish I hadn't gotten it (I watched The Business of Being Born shortly after giving birth...should have watched it before!) Or at least I wish someone would have said it wasn't smart to get it so late into labor. Pain meds can cause breathing problems and sleepy babies immediately after delivery (if they are administered too late in labor) and that perfectly describes W. He was in the nursery for about an hour after he was born because he was having some breathing issues. It wasn't until I did my own research that I found out why. I'm still planning not to have an epidural. I asked for it last time but thankfully the anesthesiologist didn't recommend me getting it so late into labor (A was proud of me for making it to 6 cm before asking for it, lol). Now that I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm going to use that as my focus. I have my labor scripture cards back out and I'm hoping I'll have the chance to use them (and actually remember to use them)

*A will have no choice but to be involved. Last time it was just him and the delivery nurse. I don't think he was scarred from the experience, but I know he doesn't really want to think about this next delivery until it's already happening. He was right there holding my hand, holding a leg, watching the screen for the contractions, and helping me focus on my breathing! I definitely wouldn't have made it through without his help. I imagine this next labor will be the same because we're not planning to have anyone else present. I guess we'll see!

*I do not want to be induced. I was thankful last time that I went into labor naturally and I'm praying this is also the case this time (I realize every labor/delivery is different so I'm not expecting this experience to be the exact same).

I'm sure there is more I want to post about, but this is all my tired brain can think of! I leave you with a pic at almost 34 weeks pregnant.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I think these are great wishes to have!! Especially since you've already been through it once you have more of an idea of what to expect. I hope these all happen for you!

Danielle said...

You are adorable pregnant! I think these are great wishes. Definitely bring your scripture verses for your trip, just in case. I will be your doula ;) haha! I think you will be going early not having to worry about inductions.

Samantha said...

looking fantastic momma! Love your wishes for delivery and I'm confident you'll get to have the birth you are hoping for again!

Meredyth said...

Good luck with the delivery! Can't believe it's almost time. I hope you are able to have a drug free birth. I've heard from so many people that the second delivery is faster, so it might happen! I was going to try for DF, but being GBS positive I needed to have antibiotics during labor anyway... so that kind of defeated the purpose. Maybe next time though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...