I have put a lot of thought and research into what I would ideally like to happen during labor and delivery and who I want to be as a mommy. Now that I have switched from a midwife to an OB with three months to go until delivery, I have a whole new set of questions to be answered by my new doctor. Instead of a birth plan, I am calling it birth wishes and all of them are subject to whatever kind of medical intervention might be necessary for my son and for myself.
Labor and Delivery
*I absolutely do not want to be induced. I will do everything in my power to go into labor naturally. Ideas I have so far: walking, yoga, pressure points, and spicy foods (my mom swears by these burritos having put 3 of her friends into labor). My reasoning behind this is that when the body naturally releases Pitocin to signal it's time for labor, the body has a chance to naturally flow into giving birth and becoming a mom (so not scientific, I know). When Pitocin is administered to induce labor, the body doesn't go through that string of events that prepares the mind and body for giving birth and becoming a mother. There is a much higher risk of postpartum depression with induced births and also a higher chance of mother and baby not bonding immediately - i.e. the mother doesn't feel like a mother yet. I wish I had the articles I saved on this, but most of them I read through Psych Info so they were from academic journals.
*I want an IV-free labor. I don't mind having a Hep Lock (open vein), but I don't want to be hooked up to IVs. I am hoping I can just eat ice chips and that will keep me hydrated enough. The only exception to this one will be if I am a carrier for Strep and I'll be on a Penicillin drip. I'll find out in probably a month or so if this is the case. My reasoning for this is that I don't see the point in staying hydrated intravenously if I can eat ice chips, also I don't want the hassle of fighting a bunch of wires.
*I want a drug free delivery. I have no plans for an epidural and I hope that my new doctor and the nursing staff understands this. I have a few friends that have delivered at the same hospital and they have all had natural births with no problem. Part of my reasoning behind this goes back to the first one and having a high risk of postpartum depression, but also because it just seems to be the most natural way. Now I have obviously never given birth and so in that moment I may decide I want to have the epidural, but I have a feeling I'll regret it once the experience is over.
Aaron is supporting whatever decisions I want to make regarding labor and delivery. I think he would be most comfortable with a C-Section, something that is safe and carefully planned, but that is something I would never consider (unless it was medically necessary). He and I have had long conversations about this, so hopefully when the day comes, he'll be there to be an advocate for me!
Being a Mommy
*I plan on breastfeeding. I'm not sure why anyone would consider not trying this at least to see how it goes. It's so much cheaper than using formula and it seems to be such a great bonding experience. God designed us this way, why doing something unnatural? I put a manual pump on my registry because I would like Aaron to be a part of the feedings as well and I'll be gone one day a week for class and possibly another day for work. I am planning on taking a nursing class within the next month and I know there are plenty of support groups if I have any questions or concerns.
*I plan to be a baby-wearing mom. Attachment parenting has been something I've done a lot of research on because of the various developmental classes I have taken. I have already received one wrap which is good for cradling a newborn across the body and wearing them on your hip when they get older. I have a Moby wrap on my registry as well because I think this one will be great for carrying him around the house. Aaron wanted a front pack as well so we have one of those on the registry too. I don't think I ever want my little guy to leave my side :)
*We will be using disposable diapers. I tried very hard to convince Aaron of cloth diapering, but he just wouldn't budge. I decided this wasn't that big of a deal to me that I would fight for it, but it's something I would like to consider for future children. I'm really just happy that Aaron will be helping with the diapers, if I was on my own doing it, I would choose cloth diapering!
No comments:
Post a Comment