And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful
nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do
what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong,
but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am
not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
—Romans 7:18–20, NLT
nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do
what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong,
but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am
not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
—Romans 7:18–20, NLT
Being a parent has really opened me up to how imperfect I am. I want to be the perfect parent, but I know that that just isn't realistic. In counseling we talked about how it's not perfection that a child needs, but a parent that is "good enough." I keep telling myself at the end of the day that as long as I love my little boy and I put my best effort in for the day, I'm doing alright. I know I make plenty of mistakes, and God is working on my patience hourly, but I have a wonderful son who smiles up at me even if I'm not perfect.
I really want to find a good devotional book to begin. I have gone through all the one's on my shelf so I need something fresh. I am thinking about the Power of a Praying Parent because I loved the Power of a Praying Woman, but I am open to suggestions if there is one you love!
I really want to find a good devotional book to begin. I have gone through all the one's on my shelf so I need something fresh. I am thinking about the Power of a Praying Parent because I loved the Power of a Praying Woman, but I am open to suggestions if there is one you love!
2 comments:
I am sorry to not have a good book suggestion, but I agree with what you said about loving your children and putting forth your best effort. Being a good or even great parent is not about being perfect. It is about sharing your love and guidance. You sound like you are really getting what it's all about very early in the game! How awesome for your little one! :)
I'm not a parent yet, but you're right about just knowing you put forth your best effort for that day...this is great advice that I hope I'll remember when I am a parent, too :-)
I love The Power of a Praying Woman and The Power of a Praying Wife, so I'm sure the Praying Parent book is probably great too! I'm going through Joyce Meyer's "Hearing from God Each Morning" devotional book right now, and it's excellent! Just a little page-long devotion for ever day of the year. They are short but so powerful! It's a more general devotional though, instead of being geared toward parents, but I love it so far!
Post a Comment