Friday, February 25, 2011

putting it in perspective

My husband emailed me this website after a particularly frustrating night of sleep (or lack of sleep) and it put everything in perspective. I feel at peace after reading the article, and although I wish I could sleep 8 hours at night, I know that my son is perfectly normal for only sleeping 3-4 hours at night. At this point I'm just going to continue answering his feeding cues because I have the reassurance that it isn't going to spoil him. This is how I can be sure my son is getting "good enough" parenting and he knows that I will respond to his needs. This means I am continuing to co-sleep in the morning (or all night, if W cannot fall asleep in his bassinet), I am not using the cry-out method, I am only going to bottle feed on days when I am at class...not until the end of March. The article also has relieved my frustration in the difficulty of getting him to fall asleep. I thought it had to do with him wanting to be held to sleep, but I know that he is a perfectly normal, sweet, little baby! (Although I do wish he wouldn't fight his naps so much, I hate to see the big tears roll down his cheek when he gets tired and fussy). I was surprised to read about the Christian-method that was mentioned. Letting a child cry-out because God didn't answer Christ's cries on the cross is a very dangerous connection. That moment was part of the plan by God to save His people, it was not a parenting moment.

Check out the website: http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/night_waking.shtml

Being a mom is totally a learning experience and no matter how many blogs I read with children around W's age, they are all different and it has only taken me 12 weeks to learn that it's okay for them all to be different! My son won't sleep through the night right now, but I am blessed to not have to get up for work or class at the moment so I can spend my days napping with him. I don't get much done around the house because I enjoy playing with him too much, but that's okay too!

Good thing I won a Keurig this past week from I am THAT Lady, it has been a life-saver and I think every new mom should put one on their registry!

6 comments:

Louise said...

We are dealing with some rough teething-related sleep issues, so I can empathize. It is definitely normal for Wylie to nurse during the night! We have also been doing some co-sleeping, even though it wasn't something we'd planned to do before our daughter was born. I feel the same way about cry-it-out. It goes against every instinct you have as a mother, and I think it would be a horrible experience for the baby. You're a wonderful mom! Enjoy that Keurig! :)

Unknown said...

Alden was getting up about 4 or 5 times a night until recently. He is still in our room, but I moved his bassinet farther away from my bed. I think he would wake up every time I moved. He is now waking up only once a night. I tend to co-sleep in the mornings also. I don't believe in the cry-out method either. If your baby is crying, its for a reason. My mom always told me, don't listen to all the stuff that is out there about parenting. It's a mothers instinct. If you feel that its right, it is. You know your baby the best. Good luck!! :) From what I'm reading, you are a wonderful mother!

XLMIC said...

You are a really GOOD mommy! :) Wylie is a lucky little guy!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on the NO sleep. And I don't agree with letting him cry it out either. I'll have to check out the article you are referring too.

Samantha said...

Thank you for sharing! I haven't even gotten past the 1-3 hours of slepe at a time but hopefully we're getting closer. During the day he nurses every 2-3 hours so night time is no different for us!

Ashlee said...

Wow! I loved the website... I have read a lot on breastfeeding simply because I am sooo nervous about it... this really put it in perspective & was pretty honest without sugar coating anything!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...