Saturday, December 11, 2010

1 week old

I promise I won't be doing weekly updates about W. I am going to do monthly updates, but 1 week old seemed like a pretty big milestone! It's so hard to believe that a little over a week ago I didn't even know this little guy, and now his daddy and I are so head-over-heels in love with him! Every day we look at each other and look at our son and we're totally amazed that he is all ours.

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for his one week checkup and everything went really well. His jaundice has gone away so we no longer have to go for blood tests and we were able to stop supplementing his feedings with formula (thank goodness because he was peeing through everything with the extra food he was getting!) At birth he weighed 6 lbs 9.8 ounces and when we left the hospital he weighed 6 lbs 2 ounces. This is totally normal as babies burn a lot of calories their first few days, and the doctor just looks to make sure they are back to their birth weight by the two week checkup. W weighed 6 lbs 15 ounces at his one week appointment, so he is definitely getting plenty of calories!

Breastfeeding has been wonderful; we seem to have a pretty good routine down now (by that, I mean he knows what to do and I know when he's hungry!) I'm not as sore as I was in the beginning and I love the bonding time I have with him. Sleep has been not so good. He refuses to sleep in his bassinet which means one of us ends up holding him while he sleeps, i.e. we're both very sleep deprived! He sleeps very well during the day in his bouncer, but he hates it at night and will only sleep when we're holding him (the little guy is currently curled up on my lap right now!) I imagine this will work itself out over the next few weeks, at least I hope, we're both pretty exhausted only running on 3-4 hours of sleep a day. I've started pumping after every feeding so I'm hoping Aaron can help out with the night feedings so I can get some sleep.

3 comments:

Holly said...

He is soo adorable :) I'm glad he is healthy and growing and doing well!! I'm sorry about the sleep deprivation, though. I hope it gets better soon! Can't wait to visit you guys again :)

<3 Holly

Jessica said...

He is soo cute! I hope he starts sleeping a little more at night for you!

Brittany, Daman, and Sophie Munk said...

wow i can't believe how many similarties we have! she won't sleep in her bassinet either... night times are hard, but they are getting better since i started pumping. she also has jaundice and i hate that i have to give her some formula- currently we only do an ounce a day. on monday we get to find out how she is doing. i hope your nights get better! i hope you're having a good recovery too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...