Monday, November 1, 2010

low-impact, winter workout

Finding a low-impact workout has been difficult, unless I want to rent/buy DVDs and I'd rather not put money out on fitness when I know there are plenty of free resources. I hate to admit that my cardio workout completely dropped off once I found out I was pregnant because I was overly paranoid about doing any harm. I tried in vain to find a workout and nothing seemed to fit. I kept up with yoga at least every other day, but it doesn't give the cardio workout I know I need. Fortunately though, I have found something perfect! The latest Family Circle magazine has a 30-minute, indoor, low-impact workout routine. I had to do some tweaking to make it pregnancy safe, but it's a pretty awesome workout! Here is the routine with some suggestions for those who need to modify:

2 minutes: Heel Taps - alternate right and left foot out in front of you (Calf Raises are another suggestion to change it up)
2 minutes: High Knees - alternate legs, raising both arms overhead
2 minutes: Jumping Jacks - I chose to do half jacks to avoid jumping
2 minutes: Stairs - go up and down stairs
2 minutes: Brisk walk (I did some of this outside, but mostly just walked around the house)
2 minutes: Squats - stand with legs shoulder width apart, lower so your thighs are parallel to the ground and hold for 20 second intervals (hold onto a chair if you need help with balance)
2 minutes: Brisk walk
2 minutes: Bird Dogs - on hands and knees alternate raising opposite hands and feet so they are parallel to the floor (I chose to hold mine for 15 second intervals)
2 minutes: Stairs
2 minutes: Glute bridge - lie on your back and raise your hips off the floor forming a bridge (I chose to do leg lifts - on hands and knees alternate raising each leg behind you maintaining a 90 degree angle, I held for 15 second intervals)
2 minutes: Brisk Walk
2 minutes: Plank - hold for 10 to 30 second intervals
2 minutes: Stairs
4 minutes: Cool Down - Downward Facing Dog, Cobra, Child's Pose (or any of your favorite yoga poses that stretch your arms and legs!)

I am highly motivated to get my butt whipped into shape before giving birth (literally and figuratively). My goal is to do cardio on Monday and Fridays; do yoga on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays; and take the weekends off. Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

Meredyth said...

I am copying this and making some modifications, if you don't mind. I am not looking forward to winter and not being able to take my hour walk outside each day with the dog. Trying to keep doing it as long as I can, until the weather gets really bad. I miss having a rec center with a $100 a year membership in my city!

Ash said...

Yeah I miss being able to go to the rec center like I could in college, it made winter workouts so much easier! I hope this one works out for you (or some variation). Being able to walk with the dog helps, I bet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...