Thursday, September 30, 2010

bilingual baby


The above isn't chicken scratch, but my first attempt at Hebrew! For my MDiv degree, we are required to take 5 quarters of a language and I happened to choose this particular year to pick up Hebrew. I have always wanted to learn Hebrew, but I never had the opportunity to learn it until coming to Seminary. Now that I am a commuter, learning a language is going to be even more difficult because I am forced to take the online classes or drive to the 2 hour classes that are offered twice a week on campus (it takes me an hour and a half to get to campus, so I didn't see the benefit in going twice a week). Classes start next week, and I have already begun the work for my Exegetical Hebrew class. We have to be able to pronounce and recognize all of the vowels and consonants before we are able to begin the actual assignments, so that is what I am spending the next few days doing. I got halfway through the alphabet tonight and it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. I follow along with the webcasts with the pronunciation and Aaron finds my random utterances rather humorous. The benefit I see in this whole experience is that little boy will be learning right along with me. I understand that he cannot hear much in there now, but I am continuing this class through June, so he'll definitely be around as I learn to pronounce better and hopefully become more "fluent."

Unfortunately this isn't the only class I have this quarter, so I am hoping I can balance learning a new language, my two other classes - Homiletics which is a preaching class and Treatment Planning which is a basic counseling course - and the excitement and anticipation of preparing for little boy! I know God has everything planned out, so I have faith that my steps are guided :) Not to mention, I get to delve deeper into God's word by going back to the original language!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...