
Now that I'm more serious and fully committed to pursuing a mental health profession, I have embraced it in every aspect of my life. I frequently check up on my mental health because I have learned the consequences of neglecting it. I want to be healthy in every aspect of my life and I want my family to be healthy as well.
Rachel and I went to a suicide support group tonight as they frequently advertise for members of the mental health community to attend. It was a relatively new experience as I do not know anyone that has committed suicide, but I have "counseled" an individual who attempted to do so. I'd like to go to some more of their groups to get a better feel for what people are experiencing and also to learn what common views are of mental health professionals. I learned a lot through this one experience and I think we're going to go to a "training" day next week. The training is focused entirely for counselors, group leaders, and ministers on how to deal with people who are suicidal and those who have known someone who has committed suicide.
As part of the counseling program, I am required to go to 5 counseling sessions which are facilitated by the second-year students. I'm really looking forward to this because I've never been in counseling before. I don't think I have any huge underlying psychological issues, but I've struggled with depression on occasion and I had some body image issues in high school. We'll see how it all goes, but I think it's going to be very positive.
Aaron and I have been doing a lot of planning for the future. We've had some very serious discussions about some things and I can't wait to see what God has planned for us. I have to keep telling myself that it is all in His hands and stop trying to force what I want to do. I don't want to post too much info here, but there are some pretty awesome things to come :)
No comments:
Post a Comment