My very first attempt at making a homemade household product was an epic fail. I spent weeks researching the recipes I chose and so I assumed I had found a perfect recipe, but alas it wasn't perfect. I chose a recipe that used a quarter cup of vinegar ($3ish), a quarter cup of liquid castile soap (I purchased Dr. Bronner's Organic Castile Soap Baby Mild- $14 for 32 oz), a quarter cup of water (free), and a tablespoon of lemon juice ($1). I chose this recipe because I can use all the ingredients for other household cleaning projects.
The first two loads I used 2 tablespoons of the mixture although 1 tablespoon was recommended and I had regular jet dry. Since then I have only used 1 tablespoon and I have used vinegar as the rinse agent. Unfortunately my dishes come out with a film on them. My guess is it's soap and I have no idea what else to do. A has asked me to scrap this idea because we're having to rewash everything and so we've switched back to Cascade (our problem could be hardwater not soap residue, but I don't know how to tell the difference). I plan to attempt this again in the future, but after almost 2 weeks I can say this was a failed attempt!
I have all the stuff to make my own homemade laundry soap I just need to wait to we finish our bottle of Tide. I also have plans to make my own deodorant in the near future too (I was told you need to give this a full 2 weeks to see results so I want to get started soon).
Have you ever made your own dish washing soap? Any tips or suggestions?


4 comments:
Interestingly, we ran out of dish soap today and I was wondering what to do about that since I didn't want to go to the store. But... I don't have the ingredients on hand...which might be a good thing since it was a fail :P
Good luck with the laundry soap project :)
When we ran out of dish soap recently, I read almost the same recipe just as we bought a new bottle, and was kicking myself because I had all those ingredients already! Good to know it doesn't work great.
We actually just bought a bottle of liquid Seventh Generation (we usually use the powder kind) and it works GREAT!
I think it's so great that you're trying to make your own products! But I'm sorry this didn't work. I know my sister uses Seventh Generation and loves it (just read Shauna's post above and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!). I hope the deodorant and laundry detergent works out!!
I'm sorry this didn't work out, Ashley! I have never made dishwashing soap, so I don't know of any good suggestions. I'd like to try, though. We have the ingredients for homemade laundry soap, so I just have to get in gear and make it one of these days. Good luck with your homemade endeavors -- I think they're a great idea!
Post a Comment