Wednesday, August 31, 2011

becoming a working mama

Ok, not technically yet, but I've hit the one month mark. Tomorrow is orientation for my internship which starts the first week of October, which is also when I start the last year of my masters degree.

  • I'm nervous because I've never had a big-girl job. I've worked at Old Navy, New York & Company, a local coffee shop, and as a fitness instructor...nothing that has required the use of my degree.
  • I'm excited because I am stepping out of my comfort zone and trusting this is where God is leading me.
  • I'm proud that I found a site for my internship that isn't a private practice. It seems that most of my fellow classmates have chosen private counseling practices, but I am going with community mental health. I was warned in my interview that this won't be easy, but I can't back down from a challenge! I know nothing outside of my little bubble and I cannot wait to meet my future clients. I have big doubts I'll be any help to anyone, but if anything, they'll be helping me :)
  • I'm curious about the different people I will encounter. I will be working with lower income individuals so I image they will have incredible stories. I love to hear about people's lives (good enough reason for me to become a counselor).
  • I'm overjoyed with the thought of getting to become a fashionista. I've been slowly replacing older clothes for professional pieces. I hope to post some pics on here, but I won't make any promises.
  • I'm sad I'll be leaving my baby boy 4 days a week. I don't know my schedule yet, but I was told when I accepted the position that it is 20 hours over 3 days, plus I have class all day Tuesday. I know I'm going to be missing out on a lot of milestones with W, but I keep telling myself that this is only temporary. Once I have my degree and I'm licensed, I plan to only work 20 hours a week but I won't have a full day of class anymore. I'm grateful that A's job is only seasonal (much as I really dislike his job), because that means he can spend time with W.

5 comments:

Callie said...

Exciting! Praying the transition goes smoothly.

Danielle said...

aw very exciting! praying you love it and the transition goes easily as well! Wylie will always look up to his mommy for this :)

Louise said...

I am so excited for you, Ashley! I have no doubt that you WILL help the people that you meet through your internship. Just because you come from a different background, doesn't mean you can't make a big impact on their lives (and vice versa, of course). You're a loving and caring person, and you've been learning and studying hard to prepare for this. I think you're going to do beautifully! God bless!

Holly said...

I didn't even see you posted this, sorry!

You are gonna do SO GREAT at your big girl job!! You never know, you might help someone when you least expect it! Ahh I can't wait to see all your dresses and cute outfits! I wish I accessorized like you did, you always have the cutest belts and necklaces and shoes.

Jessica said...

What an exciting time! Praying that the transition goes smoothly for you :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...