Thursday, June 2, 2011

6 months

My little man is 6 months old today. I cannot imagine my life without him :) He brings us such joy and I really couldn't ask for a happier baby. 6 months is a big milestone so I am going all-out in filling everyone in!

Sleep: Naps have definitely been a big improvement this past month. He takes 3-4 naps every 2 hours. If he goes longer than 2 hours, he gets really cranky and it's nearly impossible to get him to sleep. I only have to rock him for about 5 minutes and he is out and I can set him in his crib. He has been napping between 45 mins and 1.5 hours but he rarely sleeps that long. Nighttime hasn't gotten any better. He goes to sleep around 8:30 and he's usually up at 12, 4, and 8. I thought that introducing food would help him sleep, but it doesn't! He's usually wide awake at midnight which I find to be odd and I have no idea why. Once A is done working we are going to work on getting him to sleep in the crib all night. This makes me sad and nervous, but I think it's for the best. A 6 month old not sleeping through the night is pretty rare!

Food: W loves eating real food! This month he has tried peas, green beans, carrots, sweat potatoes, bananas, apples, and pears. He actually prefers veggies over fruits which is awesome. Our typical routine for eating is nursing at 8, 11, 2, 5, and 8 and 2 tbs of oatmeal at 8:30 (sometimes mixed with banana because he loves bananas), 2 ounces of a fruit or veggie at 12, 1 ounce of a fruit or veggie and 2 tbs of oatmeal at 6:30. I stopped making my own oatmeal because it has become too time consuming. I was having to make it every other day and it requires about 15 minutes of not being able to leave the stove. We started using Happy Baby oatmeal and it has been amazing for W's stomach (it has pre- and probiotics!) I really love their products so I'm excited to be trying some of their snacks shortly (like puffs and freeze dried yogurt melts). This upcoming month we plan to introduce peaches, prunes, and squash (possibly regular potatoes). So far he hasn't disliked anything we've given him, which is great!

Diaper size: Still size 2, but I think 3s would fit him

Clothes: 3-6 onesies still fit him same with shorts, but he's in 6-9 sleepers and the outfits are only a little bit big on him still

Development: He started saying "dada" and "mama" obviously not recognizing us, but it's cute to hear him say "words". He likes "la" and "ba" as well. He also has started sitting up on his own. He is still a bit wobbly, because he grabs at everything, but he's getting there. Most of the time he rolls everywhere, but he is learning to get up on his hands and knees and rocking so I imagine he'll figure out how to move forward soon enough (or backwards!) He is going in for a 6 month checkup in 2 weeks when he'll be getting 3 shots (boo) and we'll find out his height and weight.
Favorites: Infantino front/back pack, activity center/walker, bumbo chair, high chair, balls of any kind (especially textured ones,) and crinkly toys.

(An update on me is that I am completely back down to my pregnancy weight and size, which is a blessing because I don't need to go out and buy new clothes!)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I still can't get over how big he has gotten! And that is so awesome about YOU! Congrats!! That's pretty impressive :)

Louise said...

Those six months went by so quickly! Wylie is a delightful little guy! I'd love to meet him in person some day. :)
Best of luck with getting him to sleep through the night. The more I've talked with other moms through La Leche League and other groups, the more I realize that it's actually very common for babies *not* to sleep through the night (even beyond a year old), regardless of what the books say! I find that comforting, since my 11-month-old still wakes up for a couple nighttime feedings. That having been said, I completely understand the need for sleep! It may be that with a little coaxing, Wylie will be ready to sleep all night in his crib. For your sake, I hope that's the case...I just don't want you to feel like you're the only mama out there whose baby doesn't sleep through the night. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...