Friday, May 27, 2011

Eco-conscious

I posted in the past that I wanted to switch to cloth diapers. I still would love to, but I don't have the time or money to make that switch (I know it's cheaper than disposables overall, but upfront it's a lot of money). My goal is to be prepared from the very beginning with our next child.

One way I have been eco-conscious is through buying organic for my son. I live in an area with very little organic options. Our Giant Eagle has a decent frozen foods selection and dry goods section, but only one small section of fresh foods. Fortunately I have been able to get all of his first foods except for sweet potatoes in organic. It's nearly impossible for me to eat completely organic because of the limited selection, but I'm glad I'm able to do this for my son. I had a bunch of coupons for Happy Baby that I won, and I finally found a place to get the products (well I had to send them to my grandparents in New York, but they are bringing the products with them when they visit). Making oatmeal is taking way too much effort, so I plan to use Happy Baby cereal now. I mostly use Seventh Generation diapers, but there is only one store in our area that sells them and I can't always make it there. I do use homemade wipes, though! I have a spray bottle filled with water, baby oil, and baby wash and I spray it on small pieces of paper towel (Viva works best) as I need them. I use regular wipes for big jobs, but that is pretty rare not that W is eating food.

I also recycle just about everything that I can. I have a section for electronics, old computes, and light bulbs I'm just waiting for special recycling days to pop-up in our area. I also keep old batteries because the local school recycles them as well. Not to mention all junk mail, cardboard, envelopes, magazines, glass, metal, and #1 & #2 plastics. There is also a baggie of expired medications I'm waiting to properly recycle. After reading an article about estrogen in the water supply from people improperly discarding birth control pills (not to mention the higher amounts in urine), I try to do my part. I'm not on birth control, but I have a bunch of samples from when I got married.

I try to use reusable bags when I'm shopping, but unfortunately it usually slips my mind to grab them when I go into the store. Fortunately one of the local grocery stores recycles plastic bags, so I don't feel as guilty, but I know I could do a better job.

I cannot wait to have our own house, because I also really want to compost. I have no place to put the dirt right now, so it's not really helpful, but it's a goal for the future!

What are some ways you are eco-conscious? Any suggestions on how to be more eco-conscious with a baby?

6. Eat completely organic for one month (W - April 26-May 26, 2011)

3 comments:

Holly said...

I love that you make your own baby wipes! Did you get the idea from somewhere? It sounds a lot cheaper and better, especially since regular wipes tend to dry out a lot if you don't use them. Does Target have Seventh Generation diapers? I feel like I've seen them there before. I'll keep my eye out for coupons.

I'm also really impressed by your recycling system. We recycle at home but not as much as we should. My sister composts! They have a huge pile in their backyard and it eliminates their waste a TON. I always forget my reusable bags too, it's annoying.

I'm going to start to take the bus to work on days where I don't have to do anything afterwards; it'll save on gas and it's one less car on the road! If I had my own house or apartment, I would keep the windows open more often than using air conditioning (unless it was unbearable) because I like the fresh air better--not sure if that's really eco-friendly, though.

I'm always inspired by how health and eco conscious you are! :)

Louise said...

I agree with Holly, your eco-consciousness is inspiring! And Holly, I think forgoing the air conditioning would definitely qualify as eco-conscious. Our landlords are so environmentally concerned that they removed the central air from the house we're renting.
That's really awesome that you make your own wipes. I think I am going to try that. Elise's diapers have gotten a lot more manageable since she started eating food!
I want to be more eco-conscious. I'm afraid that I'm lacking in that regard! I do buy mostly organic food for Elise, and I'm trying to incorporate more organic items into my husband's and my diet, as well. It's tricky on a budget. I went to some farmer's markets last week and bought just a few items, and I couldn't believe how much I ended up spending. Sigh.
One way that I've been fairly eco-conscious with a baby (mostly through my mom's help) has been through buying used items (or accepting hand-me-downs) when I can. Her bassinet, bouncy seat, and a decent number of her toys, books, and clothes are second-hand. It seems silly for every family to buy their own set of all the baby paraphernalia, only to throw many of the items away down the line when they could be enjoyed by other children.
I really enjoyed reading and reflecting on this post! :)

Shauna said...

Love this post!! It always makes me so happy to see people being conscious of their environmental impact!

My husband and I made a compost on our condo's deck, check it out!

http://lavitaedama.blogspot.com/2011/08/composting-green-living-cont.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...