Friday, July 24, 2009

sometimes life hurts


I am so very happy with the life God has blessed me with, but some days it feels as though I cannot bear much more. My car broke down on the way to my parents house yesterday and I burst into tears. I simply could not control how upset I was and I cried for a good, long while. I eventually moved passed it because we had an amazingly uplifting guy tow us (thank goodness for AAA) and we discovered that Aaron's bonus would be available to us if we needed a large chunk of money to fix the car. Today we discovered it is going to be $1030 to fix the car, this coming not even two months after buying it. I know it is my own fault for not getting the car looked at when we bought it, but I really thought things would go well for us after the last car broke down. We also decided not to go to Cedar Point tomorrow because of the unexpected expenses, and although it appears as though tomorrow will be rainy all day, I am still upset that we had to cancel our plans. After the highs and lows of the past two days, I thought of something Sam says in "Garden State":
I know it hurts. That's life. If nothing else, it's life.
It's real, and sometimes it hurts, but it's sort of all we have.
To bring further inspiration into my life, I have started receiving daily email devotionals from crosswalk.com. It is called "Encouragement for Today" and it is part of the Proverbs 31 ministry. I miss being a part of a Bible study and exploring God's word from a non-academic setting but within a social group. Hopefully this new seminary will have something for me (or Aaron and I).
Mexico is in 4 days! The forecast has predicted rain between now and next Sunday, but I am holding on to the hope that this will be a perfect vacation rain or shine! I am looking forward to drinking margaritas in a hammock and devouring the pile of books I got out of the library today.
  • The Magician's Nephew [C.S. Lewis] - book 1 in the Chronicles of Narnia series. My goal is to read through the entire series.
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe [C.S. Lewis] - book 2 in the series
  • Possessing the Secret of Joy [Alice Walker] - this book has been on my reading list for a few years, I just haven't taken the time to read it. It is about a girl who has experienced FGM and the psychological impact it has on her.
  • Anne of Green Gables [L.M. Montgomery] - one of my all-time favorite books. I actually own the whole series, but I just got the first one out in paperback.
  • Sense and Sensibility [Jane Austen] - I loved P&P so I'm hoping this one will be equally divine.
  • Wildwood Dancing [Juliette Marillier] - I've heard a lot of great reviews about this book. This will most likely be an easy read because it came off the YA shelf.

I leave you with my verse of the day:

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served,
but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Mark 10:45

Blessings,
-Ashley

1 comment:

Diana said...

Your outlook even in the face of hardship is most encouraging - I thank you for it, as things look dismal from my point of life too. I hope you enjoy Sense and Sensibility, it is my favorite Austen. Good luck with the rest of your week!

xoxo thestoryteller

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...